My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Britain's Got Talent: Paul Potts

The first time I saw Paul Potts sing was through a clip that was posted up on a friend’s blog. He is simply amazing and unbelievable. I have to admit that tears just flowed down so uncontrollably when I watched it. He had me tearing because i was overwhelmed by the emotion of his performance. It was simply breath-taking and he had a fabulous voice. He is such a talent. Based on his physical appearance, well .. he looked like he couldn’t sing. He looked nerdy with the missing front tooth. He looked as if he lacks self-confidence. And he looks … ordinary.

When asked what he was going to do and he said sing opera, there were glances between the renowned judges which suggested little expectation. He has no stage presence, and was very insecure. He looked as if he was making a fool of himself. However, when Paul Potts opened his mouth and sang the very moving Nessen Dorma, the judges and the audience realised they were seeing something rather special. There was an amazing beauty inside that he could share with the world.

Didn’t realize that he was actually the newly discovered winner of ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ (BGT), a British television show. The talent show premiered on 9 June 2007, and was broadcast daily with a live final on 17 June 2007. It is a search of Brtain’s next best amateur talent act. The winner of the show will also perform in front of the Queen and members of the Royal Family at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool.

Britain's Got Talent - Paul @ Audition



As I look at Paul in the clip, it became natural of me to reflect on my own life accomplishments. What gifts has God given me? I remembered as a kid, I always told Cindy (my ‘small auntie’) that I felt inferior because I think I’m someone who has absolutely no talent. I didn’t have the confidence, not like other kids who were good in some ways or the other. Some people were excellent with their studies, good at playing musical instruments, sports etc … well, I had none. Cindy could play the piano, well … I couldn’t. She represents the school debate team, well ….i’m not the kind who could argue my way through, let alone be in the debate team.

I remembered the last conversation which I had with her on this topic as a kid was at the carpark at Flame Tree Park, the condominium which my uncle used to stay many years ago. She would encourage me and told me that it was wrong to think that way, and prayed together with me.

Tears rolled down as I took in my emotions as I watched Paul sings. It reminded me of the need to have the courage to dig down and find the confidence needed to display whatever talent or abilities I have within. For those seconds, I felt that I could relate with him. I believe inside all of us, there is this hope that someday somebody will really see us, hear us, and recognize that we’re unique even though we are just very ordinary people.

He has been a nobody all his life. He, and perhaps only he, knows he has greatness inside of him. He feels massively insecure, afraid of rejection, unsure of himself. In those few seconds at the at the end of song, you could feel that he has put the void behind him, and his life will probably changed forever because he called up the courage at that moment to show what he was really made of. There was greatness, long denied, finally being born.

Britain's Got Talent - Paul @ Semi Finals



Britains's Got Talent - Finals



Britain's Got Talent - Results/Announcement of Winner



It is truly inspirational!

Labels: