My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Farewell to May

Some of my colleagues and me threw a farewell dinner for May this evening at an Austrian restaurant called Wiener Kaffeehaus. The resturant was recommended by Chua whose pub, 'Breathless'is just next door. The ambience is quite cosy and casual and what i like is that the place is decorated with Viennese flavours. I was surprised to see my favourite piece of painting there. It's "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt. I have a similar piece (though less elaborate and colourful)which i bought in Australia many years back during my student days. I still have it hanging on the wall in my bedroom.

The Kiss (1908) is probably Gustav Klimt's most famous work. It evokes the timelessness,and union of selves that a kiss can engender. I remember it was my friend, Carrie who told me that this was a popular piece when she came down to Melbourne many years back.



The restaurant is set in an Art Nouveau style, serving authentic Austrian dishes. For coffee lovers, one of the highlight is that the coffee is roasted within the cafe. What's interesting is that your coffee will arrive on a silver platter accompanied by a small glass of water with a spoon over it.

So what did we order?

Caesar Salad


Chicken Wings - marinated in the Austrian style


Cordon Bleu
Thin slices of veal stuffed with cheese and ham and then sauteed to a golden color. It is served with buttered parsley potato and a small mixed salad.



Dienstag/Faschierte Laibchen in Semmel
Juicy beef burger with melted cheese, sauteed onion and potato wedges



Some beef stew dish which none of us can pronounce the name but it's actually quite tasty.



and many more mains, desserts and drinks.



Do check this out. Price is reasonable.

Wiener Kaffeehaus is @ 148 Neil Road. Open daily from 10am to 10pm.

Labels: