My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Over The Rainbow

The first time i heard this song, "Over the Rainbow" by the late-hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, it was during my cousin's wedding. I fell in love with it immediatedly. The seond time was when i was in a bookshop.

The song "Over the Rainbow" was written to showcase Judy Garland's talents in the star movie : The Wizard of Oz.

I love the rhythm and melody, and it makes me feels positive about life and the things around me. It speaks about the possibilities, from the sadness of raindrops to the bright new world 'over the rainbow'. It expresses the childlike faith that Heaven will magically "open a door" to a place where "troubles melt like lemon-drops". But most importantly, a reminder that the rainbow is a gift from God and the seal of his convenant with mankind (Gen 9:8-17).



Lyrics for: Over The Rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

There's a land that I heard of Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow... skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops...

That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow... blue birds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow... why oh why can't I?

If happy little blue birds fly beyond the rainbow

Why ..oh why can't I?




There have been many versions sang by hundreds of artists such as Eva Cassidy, Emi Mujita, Barbara Streisand, Cliff Richard, Eric Clapton, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Jim Brickman. No surprise as it's the best song of academy award in 1939. It's an all time favourite.

Labels: