My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Ain't No Mountain High

SWET stands for Singapore's Women Everest Team.

I had the opportunity to get to know the gals recently because my company is the title sponsor.There's Jane, Esther, Joanne, Lihui, Peh Gee and Yi Hui. They are all in their 20s or 30s and are attempting the summit (Mt. Everest) in march. If they succeed, they will earn themselves a Guiness Book of Records entry.

These gals are truly inspiring and motivate me alot. Their passion, excitement and dedication for the sport is remarkable. It's alot of hardwork to reach where they are right now. The amount of training and exercising is beyond me. For a start, they climb stairs daily and whenever they can instead of taking the lift or escalator. Sounds easy ... but it's not. And weekend means serious training. Hmm .. i wonder if they ever get some rest. But then, it's Mount Everest and not Bukit Timah Hill though. Ha:)

Thinking back, i ought to thank them for motivating me, and helping me to achieve my first personal breakthrough this year. I really don't know how i managed to do it but i did complete my 40km of cycling. The amazing thing is that i have not cycled since i was a little girl and i was telling my friend that i may have already forgotton how to cycle. But then, there's just so much truth in the statement. Once you know how to cycle, you'll never forget it. It's a skill. And trust me, this is so true.

As i was cycling and enjoying the cool breeze of the east and scenery of the coast, i thought of the gals. At that point, i was thinking to myself .. well, if they can climb the everest and train hard for it, what is this mere 40km. I guess that kept me going and it wasn't that tough after all.

And let me see ... maybe they will do me some good too. I hate trekking because i can't handle the sun. And i hate steps which is a real hindrance to climbing. But maybe after knowing them, mountain-climbing could be my next new found interest. Never say never. But till now, it's nowhere near my radar. Ha ha!

Media Conference @ A Unique Venue - Campus Corner.



It's interesting to read about their past expeditions. Not easy. I'll never be able to do it.



That's me .. the first well-wisher to sign on the board.



My new colleague, Rina and me with Mr All Wrapped Up aka Mr Mountain Climber. Check out his attire.



We'll behind the SWET Team. All the best!

Labels: ,