My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Interns

Through my course of work, i've had quite alot of interns in the office. Some are attached directly to me while the rest is under my colleague in another department.

The good thing about having interns is of course, you get additional help. They certainly add more fun & 'colour' in the office since they are younger. But everyone of them is different. Some are more hardworking than the other,some like to find the easy way out of doing things, some make u really paraniod with their nonsense and excuses, some are more careless, some are really smart and finish things fast. And yes, some of them end up being a friend after they finish their internship.

One thing about me is that somehow, i never quite remember which school they come from. Even after they finish their internship. My colleague overheard the interns talking the other day. One of them passed a comment to a fellow intern that they are cheap labour and had to do general work. I do admit that in a way, they are 'cheap labour'. But hey, they are on internship and is here to learn. The amount is just a token sum for meals and daily expenses. Not really salary. That statement really pisses my colleague off. She was wondering if they had purposely said it loud for us to hear. Hmm!

I have a couple of interns in the office right now and for the past few days, feedback which i received was that interns now-adays are getting smarter and smarter (which i must agree). But well, some know how to 'geng' (pretend) very well.Yeap ... so poor us .. have to find ways to handle them.

But surprisingly, the 2 interns which i really like are both guys. The first is Aaron, my very first intern in 2004. When he started his internship with us, my gosh ... i have never met anyone like him before. He like to talk nonsense, forever hungry, eats alot (but yet so trim and fit bec. he's the captain of the dragon-boat team in his school) and is always late for work. He started off being very blur and careless at work but improved alot at the end of the internship. We like him so much that we wanted to bring him along for overseas project.

We still keep in touch with eachother and infact, he just called me this morning. I will always remember him telling us that he always ask his mom to buy a car. And his mom will always tell him that she will need to sell the house in order to buy a car. So in this case, they shall all live in the car then. Ha ha! We will always joke with him that he doesn't need to do that since he has so many galfriends, esp. the rich gal whom he likes at that time and she has a nice car.

The other is Nelson, the recent intern with the IT department. He's hands-on, friendly & a good worker. Too bad he's young and just went to the army. If he's looking for a job, we will love to have him join us as a full-time staff. He'll be a great asset. He's a tremendously good singer too.