My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Journey

I was working in the office 2 days back and suddenly, just had the urge to try blogging in chinese. It wasn't too difficult to come out with a handwritten draft (of course with lots of hanyu pinyin scribbled on the paper). I felt that i was writing composition, just like school days.Only this time, i didn't need to bother if i get good rates or just a pass will do. Brought my draft copy home and when i tried typing, man ... that was tough. It took me ages & hours just writing a short para. But one thing for sure, if my dad ever know that i actually tried 'writing' in chinese, he would be extremly pleased. Gee ... it has always been one of the tough subjects for me.

I would say that my impression of the chinese language has changed quite abit over the years. I hardly speak mandarin, what more write. Which explains why i felt 'handicap & out of place' when i was attending classes @ Music Forest. I had no problems listening but have a problem when i am required to read or converse everything in mandarin.

But my CEO rightfully pointed out something jokingly sometime back. Somehow, we gals always tell him that our mandarin/chinese is really bad. We will always tell him that we can't read chinese and have problems prove-reading chinese ads, radio commercial script, read articles from the chinese papers, reading and explaining faxes or emails in chinese etc. But when it comes to singing chinese songs (karaoke), everyone somehow have no problems with the language. ha ha!

One of my biggest challenge was in the early part of the year when i had to deal with the delegation from Yangzhou, China. It was a big group, about 20 of them. It was so tough for me trying to explain everything in mandarin. And what ... they requested me to type the opening ceremony program out for them in chinese. Thankfully, i am able to worm my way out.

Anyway, this is my first entry in chinese.

明天会到雅加达。 星期五会到曼谷和下星期四会飞往马尼拉。曼谷是个我非常喜
欢的地方, 从来都不会觉得闷。 如果会埋怨, 最多是那儿天气或交通问题吧。我
对曼谷不会觉得莫深 。去了好多次。 因为两年前在 Vientiane, Laos 有个project, 所时常会
在曼谷 transit。如果时间允许, 会和同事在回往新时在曼谷逗留多一两晚。

但现在的我, 心情觉得有点怪,感觉不一样。。真搞不懂我自己。

从前的我, 如果一有机会, 一定在哪儿多留一两晚才回新。但这次不一样, 逗留一晚就足够了。 不想多留几天。 也许是应为有许许多多的事情, 或有许许多多的人使我放不下心来吧!有点舍不得的心情。 真奇怪。

也可能是应为以前都是和要好的同事去。 但这次不一样。那些要好的同事都已经离直了。

For the benefit for those who can't read or understand chinese, basically, i will be outstation to Jakarta tomorrow followed by Bangkok on friday. Will also be travelling to Manila next thu. Bangkok is a place which i like. I've never once complained that it's boring. If i do complain, it's probably the weather or traffic.

I'm pretty familiar with Bangkok as i've been there many times. Two years back, i had a major project in Vientiane, Laos and had to transit in Bangkok quite frequently. If time permits, i would stay in Bangkok for a couple of days before heading home with my colleagues. However, i've been feeling rather weird or perhaps, heavy-hearted this time. Can't understand why i felt this way.

In the past, whenever i have the opportunity, i would definedly extend my stay in Bangkok. How could i not resist. But this time, one nite is sufficient for me (although i have a long weekend and break since i am on leave on monday). Didn't feel like staying additional nites. Perhaps it's because there are things or people whom i worry abt back home. Maybe there are people whom i will miss. Strange!

Perhaps it's also because in the past, i'm usually there with my ex-colleagues (who are all no longer in the company).