My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Monday, October 09, 2006

Eine erfreuliche Leistung (An Enjoyable Performance) - Bastien and Bastienne

It was a busy day for me yesterday since it was the BIG day of my dear sister - Sharon. However, i'm still amazed with myself how i could manage to attend HJ's performance @ the Singapore Art Museum and also, manage to stay through and not leave early.

I was glad i went coz. i enjoyed the performance. It was in a style which i didn't quite expected as it was done in a production/play format. Anyway, it was a 'ear-opener' for me to experience the vocal of opera singing students of various standards. The texture, the dept and the strength of each were all so different. I can only say that they this is 'real singing'.

As for HJ, i can really sense the dept and stability of his vocals when he sings. Quite different when he sings contemporary or christian songs. My personal preference, i think i enjoy listening to his vocal when he sings opera/classical. His voice sounds really good but of course, such quality is attained after many years of training and hardwork. Some of the students were really good as well. A couple of gals in particular. Somehow, it only puts me to shame and reminds me that if we were to sing, we have to sing properly and not for fun. This is what singing is all about.

OK - better work harder and practice more since i just started my vocal lessons @ believer music. Somehow, it also reminded me of what my ex-teacher, Wu Jiaming who coached me for a short while during my Music Forest Days used to say. He'll always tell us that many of his students do not dare to sing karaoke after taking vocal lessons for awhile. Now i understand why.

Ten minutes after the performance, i was back at the hotel. I am so glad that the traffic was clear yesterday and i had no problems getting a cab. Being the overall co-ordinator,there were people expecting me at the hotel in the evening. So by 6.15pm. i was down at the ballroom going through with the emcees on the nite's proceedings, teach the page boy & flower gal how to walk down the aisle, do a run-through with the banquet person on the video clip which was to be played, ensure that the registration table be set-up etc etc.

I can only say that I made it back and everything went well at nite. Anything later, i would be in big trouble and my mobile-phone will be ringing non-stop. But really, i do feel guilty for leaving Mab & Sharon in the hotel room while the rest of the gals went off to do their hair and me, to watch a performance. So sorry! Guilty .. also for not being able to bring myself to tell the bride & the gals earlier that i may need to 'excuse myself' for ashort while in the late afternoon to watch a performance (and not to do my hair). Hmm .. that explains why i was in a dillema.