My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

My family has never quite subscribed to the practice of celebrating special days such as "Mother's Day" or "Father's Day" or even Christmas gatherings till recent years. But like any other families, we often mark these special occasions by having either a meal out or at home.

I used to tell myself that every day is mother's day or father's day. There is no need to celebrate it on just one day. But afew days back, while on the way to work, one of the DJs from Class 95FM said that we are busy everyday and that is why there is a need to set aside this one special day. True as well!

As for gifts, i have no ideal why but as far as i could remember, i always end up buying shirts or t-shirts for dad especially when i am overseas for work or holidays. And it usually took me quite some time to pick the shirt. No loud prints, no big logos etc. And i know he's often very happy because he'll receive good comments from his friends about his new shirt and he'll proudly say that his daughter bought it for him.

This year, we'll be having a BIG feast-out at my place together with my extended family because it also happens to be grandpa's death anniversary. So once again, we are not really having a 'Father's Day' dinner. It's just one of the usual makan session. But really at this stage where i am, i know a precious grandchild will sure beat a shirt. At least, that's what i reckon. Hopefully soon Dad. I'll look forward to the day when my baby brings a smile on his face or when my baby reaches out to him with both arms. Indeed, these are the 'precious gifts' which money cannot buy.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY dad!