My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Monday, November 27, 2006

Geylang - a colourful place

Geylang - a place where u either love or hate. For me, i love the beef horfun and the 24hour beancurd place at Lor 9. The drawback is the heavy traffic. It's difficult to get a parking lot too. Certainly not a place which i'll like to go if i'm the driver coz. i simply hate parallel parking. I'll rather give up on my craving. There's afew times when i had a sudden craving and decided to go there. But somehow, never manage to get a parking lot. In the end, i just gave up and return home with an empty stomach. The last which i manage to satisfy my craving is well, because i took a bus there.

It's a place where i passed by quite often because it's just about 10 - 20 mins ride away from home (depending on traffic). Tonite, i passed by Geylang again but i was fortunate to be in the car. We stopped at the traffic light and wow, dad and me were really surprised that the street was lined up with many prositutes hanging around waiting for businesses. There were many of them. A quick glance at the gals and you could tell that majority are not local. It was a mixed group, some were really young and pretty while others were older and well, not your model-looking babe kind. Dad said he spotted some men hanging around them. The men were probably in charge of them. Wow ... suddenly, it sounds quite scary.

My heart just goes out to them. I mean, i really wonder what made them do it. Was it out of their own free will or were they forced into it. I've read many cases from papers and magazines. It's sad at times to know that we are all humans but everyone is just so different. They are the unfortunate ones and each will have their own story to tell.

This reminds me of DA, DY & JN"s story when we were in Cambodia. Well, one of them told me the story when we came back to Singapore. They met a local gal who somehow, related her life story to them. It was a sad case as to why she had to turn to prostitution. She had no choice. And i believe many do not have a choice either.

\