My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Getai

I watched the local production 881 by Royston Tan this weekend. The movie depicts the hardship of Ge Tai and the political side of it, as well as the rules that governs it.

My grandfather (who has passed on for 20 years) was involved in getai @ New World in Geylang during his younger days. It was 'the place' to go for entertainment. Actually, i know very little about his 'getai' days and only remember seeing some photos many years back. My auntie used to tell us that they used to hang out there alot when they were young while grand-pa was working.

I don't know how and why grandpa was involved coz. besides getai, he used to be a teacher too, amongst many other things which he did. But one thing which i know is that he commands alot of respect from people around him, not only at that time but till his last days. The older generation singers and performers will also remember him as most would have worked with him at New World before.

Thus, i watched this movie with an extra meaning and reason behind it. It's a glimpse of the loud and colourful getai scene which someone close to me has gone through. But nowadays, it has become quite business like, with top shows, comperes, hosts, singers, dancers and other various performers being lined up to entertain the masses.

And here's one of the songs from the movie which is pretty nice.

Labels: ,