My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Friday, August 17, 2007

Head Over Heels

I wonder when my passion with shoes started. Along the way, I realised that more and more people tell me … hey, I realised that you have a lot of shoes. Hey … your shoe is nice, where did you get it from? Hey, seems that you are always wearing different shoes. Hey, you always have very nice shoes.

Seriously, I don’t know when my passion in shoes started. But I know I am particular when it comes to what I wear on my feet. I’ll feel irritated when my shoe or flip flops doesn’t match my attire. Tom Hanks, in Forest Gump said "Mama always said you could tell an awful lot about a person by the kind of shoes they wear." And his Mama was right! But this is a more correct statement for women than it is for men.

The truth of the matter is that shoes can say a lot about a person and reflects a person’s character, personality and style. Women shoes really go a long way towards telling you who she is, what she is like, and what she does with her life. As the saying goes, the first impression is a lasting impression. Thus it is important to pay attention to the type of shoes to wear and it can make or break an outfit too. Certainly doesn’t do justice to your attire if you are all nicely dressed and wear a pair of shoes that looks pretty worn out.

Shoes are a passion that most people share, no matter what age, income bracket or country which you are from. Just as men love their cars and sports, so do women love their shoes. But well, firstly let me clarify that I am no Imelda Marcos, the world’s best-known shoe collector or do my shoes cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. While i adore the designs from designers such as Manolo Blahnik, Roberto Cavalli, Jimmy Choo or Stuart Weitzman, i dón't own any of them. I’m just your average gal who owns charles and keith, vincci, heatwave, mondo, august ryan and nine west.

Amongst my friends, each have very different ‘relationship’ with shoes. There are some who would only go for high heels, the higher the better. There are others who will only go for flats, because they can’t take the height and they don’t know how to walk in heels. While there are others who have difficulty in finding the “right” pair due to their shape of their feet. But the most common complain which i hear from friends is that it gets very frustrating when you can’t find the right pair. It must be the right style, right height, right colour, right price, right size and most importantly, it has to be comfortable too.

High heels definedly make you look taller, legs longer, posture straighter and your silhouette slimmer. However, long terms wearing of high heels can bring about a host of problems, bone fractures, osteoarthritis to lower back pain. Well, I’ve been a victim myself. That’s why I try to cut down on heels and wear flats more often. But still, women and high heels. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them. The trick: Wear them when you think you need to, such as during meetings at work or at dinner functions; stick to low heels the rest of the time.

I’ve heard many guyfriends who have asked this question. Hey, i don’t understand why you girls need so many pairs of shoes. Well, reason is simple. We need shoes to go with all the different kinds of outfits we wear. Since women have more variety in the clothing, it is natural that their footwear will be proportionately varied, both in color and style.

Gals! Here's to a long and faithful relationship with our beloved shoes! Ha ha! Have a great weekend!

Labels: