My Blog, My Thoughts, My Reflections

WeNdY tAn

Sunday, January 06, 2008

A Year To Remember

2007 was quite a year. There were ups and downs, the good and bad, challenges, lessons of life and more. It was quite a tough year and i wondered how i pulled it through.

1) Feeling S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D
I think i must have been crazy for pushing myself so hard. In the early part of the year, i think i almost 'killed' myself for taking on 3 music courses at the same
time. I think i must be either feeling over ethusiastic or i must have felt that i had a 'deprived' childhood and wanted to make up for it. I wonder which it is. In the end, i couldn't cope and had to give up half half of it.

2)Stressed is desserts spelt backwards
Looking back, i wish i have reminded myself that Stressed is Desserts spelt backwards. Lijun was the one who told me this some time back. I remember she texted me this while i was on the way back home from choir practice. 2007 was one of the most stressful year for me, be it work or personal. The year started off with the most challenging and stressful project which i was handling. My mind was still thinking and working even while i was sleeping. There were so many nights that i turned off my lights only to quickly turn it on to write down the things which i need to do the next day or trying to figure out how to solve problems. It was crazy .. and scary! There were tears, fears, frustrations which i am glad i could release all to God. He helped me carry some of the load.

There were also things that came along the way that really tested my tolerance and limits. My tolerance for stress is usually high but there was this ultimate one where for the first time, i actually felt heart-ache and breathless. The one time experience will be the first and last. Karen has always said that we work too hard in Singapore. And life is too stressed. OK .. i'll see if i get the chance to join her and migrate to Australia some day.

Anyway, i am so thankful that God is always there to pull me through situations in his timely fashion and helped me deal with it. Lessons learnt. Try not to pile too much on myself, seek for assistance in areas which i need help rather than trying to be 'gung ho' and depend everything on myself and try to talk about the problems instead of keeping it to myself. I am not going to let myself 'die' of stress. It is so not worth it. There is still plenty of things which i want to do.

3) Frequent Traveller
I am really fortunate. Got the opportunity to travel to many countries (Hainan Island, Dalat, Ho Chi Minh, Osaka, Kyoto, Meleka, Hanoi, JB, Kota Tinggi, Kuala Lumpur, London, Holland & Germany).

I was travelling almost once a month. And yes, i finally had the chance to visit Vietnam and see the beautiful Halong Bay, Japan, UK & Europe. But i guess i was most thrilled about London and Europe. It's somewhere that i've always been wanting to go. I hope to get more opportunities this year.

4)New additions to the family
The little ones are such a joy. There's Junior and Huishan is just pregnant. Victor is also getting married in April. We are welcoming Alice into my family.

5) Positioning myself right before God
There is one area in my life which i have been struggling for the longest time. It pertains to obeying the Lord's commandments. I have tried many times to overcome it by my own strength but well, it failed. That was the only area which was an obstacle in me on loving God totally. About a year ago, the Lord spoke to me about loving God. Deut 6:5 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that i give you today are to be upon your hearts". Loving God is not difficult. But loving God totally. Wow .. that can be tough.

During the last weekend of the year, i am so glad and happy because i managed to overcome the obstacle and had a breakthrough (at last). There was total freedom and peace in my heart. How timely it is. I was at home listening to the web broadcast of City Harvest Church sunday service while preparing to go to church. The leaders challenged the congregation on how they should enter the new year. How we enter the new year is very important as it determines how we are going to end the year. We want to enter it not in despair, not in discouragement, not in doubt, but we want to enter the new year in faith. The pastor also challenged the congregation to position ourselves and be a faithful steward. We need to position ourselves corretly for the supernatural in our lives. And when i as in church, Pastor Ben also made the same challenge. It was amazing.

But i am really feeling very HAPPY about myself in this area. A brand new start for the year. But it was miraculous of the many unexpected blessings that have already come in. And it's not even a week into the new year.

6) A Year of Weddings & Good News
My good friend Fiona got married and i was her bridesmaid. It is such a joy to see her happily married and Johann dotes on her so much (friend .. if you are reading this, hope i'm correct. Ha ha! This is based on what i observed). Two of my cousins got married. Patrick from my dad side and JW from my mom's side. And not forgetting friends who tied the knot, such as Galvin & Cecilia, Meng Chong & Sarah, Benny & Peggy, Jenny, Jessie and probably some others which i can't remember off hand.

There's lot of additions in terms of babies in my life too. Some of my close friends gave birth this year, such as Cheryl Q, Jo, Lynette, Sharon and JW. And not forgetting moms-to-be, Lisan and Huishan.

Met up with my ex-shepherd Susan in KL, heard that my ex-CL and friend Mark was attached, Mabel L planning to get married etc.

6) Vist from Old Friends
My good friend Karen & Steve were back to Singapore from Melbourne for about 2 months. It was so nice to spend time with them, especially with the kids. It was also the first time that i saw baby Rylan.

7) Saying Goodbye
For every goodbye a hello awaits. I finally plucked up the courage to change cell-gp after spending a good many years together with all of them. In a way, we kind of 'grew up' together. For the majority of them,we have always been in the same group or unit. For some, i knew them even before they got married. And now, they are already proud parents. It was a very tough decision and i took time to pray about it before deciding to move to WAM group.

I miss my old friends but the new friends are awesome too. It's great serving alongside with this group of people. But most importantly, i knew it was the right decision at the right time. It's going to be an exciting journey this year.

So it's goodbye 2007, hello 2008!

Labels: